On January 15, 2019 New York State Governor Andrew M. Cuomo did his State of the State Address and it included his version of the environmental agenda’s Green New Deal. The announcement was necessarily vague but there was enough information to determine this will be an issue.
This page lists my posts relative to this plan. I recommend this Summary post for an overview. I have separated other posts on the Green New Deal into two sections. The Announcement section includes posts that describe components of the announcement for the program and my initial impressions. It is not very detailed because there are few details in the announcement. The Analysis section includes posts that are more detailed evaluations of the Green New Deal. I believe that the Governor and advocates for this agenda need to explain how it will work, how much it will cost and how much it will affect global warming and these posts evaluate those aspects of the program. I will add posts here as more detailed proposals are produced by the State.
I have been involved in New York energy and environmental policy since 1981. Before retirement from a non-regulated generating company, I was actively analyzing air quality regulations that could affect company operations and energy policies related to operations. The opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the position of any of my previous employers or any other company I have been associated with, these comments are mine alone.
- NYS Green New Deal Announcement Summary, January 28 2019: Overview of the components
- NY Green Deal: Effect on Global Warming, January 22 2019: Calculated impact of Green New Deal on global warming.
- New York Green New Deal – NYS 2010 Climate Action Plan, February 18, 2019: The first Climate Action Council analysis of possible pathways to an 80% reduction by 2050 was not optimistic.
- New York Green New Deal, January 16, 2019: This post addresses the text of part 4 “Launching the NY Green New Deal” in the 2019 Justice Agenda.
- Launching the Green New Deal, January 19, 2019: This post critiques the introduction to Launching the NY Green New Deal.
- NY Green New Deal: NY Green Bank, January 21, 2019: A description of the NY Green Bank and its relevance to the NY Green New Deal.
- NY Green Deal: New York’s Path to Carbon Neutrality, January 22 2019: My concerns with the Climate Action Council and the proposed path.
- NY Green Deal: Justice, Transition and Clean Energy Jobs, January 23, 2019: Politically expedient components of the Green New Deal
- NY Green Deal: Investments in the Clean Tech Economy, January 23 2019: NYS subsidies for the Green New Deal suggest we cannot afford to meet the mandates
- NY Green Deal: Create a Carbon-to-Value Innovation Agenda, January 23, 2019: This component support research to make fuel or other products out of CO2
- NY Green Deal: Increase Carbon Sequestration, January 23, 2019: The Green New Deal proposes to expand this already existing program
- NY Green Deal: Strategies to Decarbonize Agency Investment Funds, January 24, 2019: The Green New Deal includes provisions to divest from fossil fuel investments and invest in renewables.
- NY Green Deal: Make Building Stock Carbon Neutral, January 25, 2019: The Green New deal includes aggressive energy efficiency targets.
- NY Green Deal: Offshore Wind, January 28, 2019: This ambitious goal for offshore wind is one of the cornerstones of the agenda.
NY Green Deal: Mandate 100 Percent Clean Power by 2040 January 28 2019: The politically necessary mandate may not be feasible for New York City